Monday, February 23, 2009

Recently Employed

I've been traveling and not riding my bike nearly as much as I love to. I decided that it had to end. So I'm back in the big city at another bike job that will allow me to geek out over all of the cool cycling related things I get the chance to. I'm sort of a technical writer/question answerer at Bikewagon.com. I write that stuff. I also shoot tutorial videos that are being edited as we speak. Bikewagon is sort of an all around bike store. We are trying to reach a broader, cooler audience. That is where you come in. I am dying for some good tips and suggestions on what to write about and video about for our next round of bike nerdery. Thanks people.

okay, I didn't write the "inversion table" or "bike parts glossary". That was someone else.

2 comments:

  1. Does the "big city" mean Salt Lake? If so, it's good to have you back.

    How tech-y do they need to be? On the entry level side of things I would say a bike fit video would be good. Road bars at silly angles, saddles below the stem, 45 degree saddles. I think people ride bikes like that because they don't know any better.

    I also think a bike mechanics video. "Why does a bike shift down when you do this to a lever?" "Why proper gear ratios make riding easier." "Why cycling shoes and clipless pedals are better than old trail runners or keds." That kind of stuff. I guess the science behind bikes.

    A little higher up, I'd say wheel truing, derailluerreeer adjustment/maintainance. Wrench/diy videos.

    More to make this comment really, really long than anything, what about how to ride videos. How to climb more efficiently, how to draft, pedaling technique, how to not be a tool on group rides. A how to skid video might work for the hipster fixie kids.

    I don't know if that hits your cooler audience though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. We were initially going to do mechanic-y type videos, cause that's what I do. But then realized that most people just want to ride and not fix things. We'll do a bit of both. Some easy mechanic stuff. Some basic riding stuff. Work from easy to moderate and then see where to go from there.

    Are you volunteering for the skid demo?

    And YES! The "big city" does mean the Salt Lake City. Its good to be back among my people.

    ReplyDelete